YOUNG PROFESSIONALS PROGRAMME
The Young Professionals Programme (YPP) is an initiative by Youth Without Borders Ghana in line with the economic empowerment (through skills, business and entrepreneurship training) strategic goal of the organisation. The programme seeks to provide entry-level job experience for the youth in an area of their professional interest through internships, industrial attachment and secondments programmes. Young people will provide technical and administrative support to programmes and operations of their host organisations whiles benefitting from professional development and mentoring.
- Offer young people the opportunity to be active players in the development of their world
- Provide professional and industry skills and experiences for the youth
- Promote the spirit of service among the youth
- Provide a platform for leadership development and mentorship of the youth
The Young Professional Prpgramme is designed to meet all the unique needs of both young people and requesting organisations. This allows for more flexibility and key outcomes to be achieved in the end. The following 4 categories are available for young people and organisations to choose from:
- Intern: This aspect of the YPP programme allows young people in a recognised higher educational institution and programme to acquire practical experiences in their field of study with an organisation that meets their demands. Young people who also intend to gain some amount of professional experience in their chosen career can also serve as interns.
- Volunteer: Young people who aspire to contribute their skills, experiences, knowledge and other resources to benefit the organisations, projects and programmes of their interest can apply for volunteer opportunities. The main aim will be to make a difference instead of for financial gains.
- Consultant: These young people shall work with organisations to deliver specific results on programmes and projects of development within a specified time frame. They shall possess certain skills sets, experiences and knowledge that are directly required to deliver specific outcomes. They shall not be full-time staff of the organisation but rather short-term staff. A consultancy fee shall be agreed upon between the organisation and young consultant through the facilitation of the YWB YPP Secretariat.
- Junior Officer: Organisations shall deliberately create these positions for young people with the relevant skills and qualification who may not under normal circumstances meet the normal recruitment criteria of such positions. These shall be young people who do not meet the minimum requirements that is required for many the position in many organisations. One (1) to three (3) years working experiences shall qualify young people to apply for such opportunities
How it works
The following processes shall be followed to ensure a clear, concise and transparent administration of the young professionals programmes to ensure it meets its stated objectives:
- Request by organisation: Organisations seeking to engage a young professional shall make a request to the YWB YPP secretariat. This request shall have the full details and conditions for such positions or vacancies including the terms of reference, conditions of service and requirements.
- Call for applications: After receiving a request, a call for applications will be made for interest young people to apply through a system to be setup.
- Selection: All applications received shall be screened and final three candidates selected for the final selection stage.
- Interviews: The requesting organisation shall either conduct an interview to select their preferred candidate or request the YPP secretariat to do the final interviews and
- Contract signing: A contract will be signed between the organisation and the selected young professional to spell out and provide a clear conditions and directions for the working relationship. Such contracts shall be signed through the YPP secretariat who shall act as a witness as well.
- Assumption of duty:
- Progress report: Young professionals shall provide regular report of their work, activities and challenges to the YPP secretariat. This shall help track the work of YPs, help improve the programme and measure the impact of the programme.
Notwithstanding the above process, the secretariat will periodically request various organisations to host young professionals
- Must be between the ages of 18 to 35 years
- Applicants must have or in a process of obtaining entry level qualification in the field of interest
- Relevant experiences and interest in the field will be an added advantage
- Being a member of Youth without Borders Ghana is an advantage but not a requirement
An ideal Young Professional will
- Be self-disciplined
- Self-motivated and positive
- Be open-minded and ready to learn
- Have ability to solve problems
- Be passionate, promising and purposeful
- Recognise and respect diversity in terms of nationality, culture, race, sex and religion.
The YP programme is meant for youth with special capability for creative, and strategic thinking. If you have and believe you fulfil the eligibility criteria above, kindly submit your online application before the closing date. The application check list includes:
- Academic certificates/transcript
- Current resume
- Letter of motivation (Maximum 700 words)
- Ensure all questions in application portal are answered accurately
After application process, screening of all application will be done and the most promising applicants selected. The selection will be competitive and the quality of the letter of motivation submitted by applicants will be taken into consideration. Interviews maybe conducted by the selection panel if the need be. The number of applicants to be selected in each batch will depend on the number of positions and vacancies available.